Senior Software Developer Job
Date: May 5, 2013
Location: Centennial, CO, US
Job ID: 2012-11365
# of Positions: 1
Posted Date: 5/14/2013
Job Location: US-CO-Centennial
Position Type: Regular Full Time
Category: Information Technology
Pearson is the global leader in educational publishing, assessment, information and services, helping people of all ages to learn at their own pace, in their own way. For students, Pearson provides effective and innovative curriculum products in all available media, educational assessment and measurement for students and teachers, student information systems, and teacher professional development and certification programs. Pearson's respected brands include Scott Foresman, Prentice Hall, AGS, PowerSchool, SuccessMaker, TeacherVision and many others. The company's comprehensive offerings help inform targeted instruction and intervention so that success is within reach of every student. Pearson's other primary businesses include the Financial Times Group and the Penguin Group.
This position provides software design and implementation solutions to challenging business and engineering problems. The position demands someone who can analyze requirements and/or issues and recommend candidate solutions that meet functional as well as non-functional needs such as scalability, reliability, and extensibility. The position requires someone who is already immersed in new technologies and can help lead the team in these new directions. You will participate in a highly collaborative, team-oriented work environment. You will have opportunities to push your skills to the limit and help build great software. You will need to be flexible and open to different technologies beyond what are detailed below and need to be comfortable in a DevOps environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leads the development and implementation of Java based Rest services.
- Leads and participates in the implementation of Cloud deployment, monitoring and instrumentation.
- Preferred experience in node.js and NoSQL.
- Takes lead and support roles in code deployment to development, test and production environments.
- Performs highly complex product design, systems analysis and programming activities which may require some research.
- Leadership roles in designing and implementing new software as well as maintaining and enhancing existing software.
- Comfortable developing and deploying in a DevOps environment.
- Is able to decompose requirements into tasks and provide estimates for those tasks.
- Ensures that code adheres to strict standards for accessibility, security, object-oriented practices and performance.
- Participates in and leads peer code reviews.
- Writes and conducts unit and integration tests.
- Effectively functions and communicates within a software development team consisting of developers, quality assurance, product management and project management members.
- Actively participates in requirements, architecture, and design meetings.
- Writes documentation for both internal and external consumers, covering design artifacts, code, and fixes.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science / MIS or equivalent experience required. Minimum five (5) years experience in software engineering and design.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Expert knowledge required in the following areas:
o Object Oriented Design and Programming
o Java Web Services (REST)
o NoSQL databases
o Design Patterns, UML
o Layered software architectures / SOA
o API / Application Framework design
- Significant experience or knowledge preferred in the following areas:
o C# and/or ASP.NET
o SQL Server
o Unit Testing / Test Coverage
- Basic experience or knowledge required in the following technologies:
o High Transaction / High Availability Systems
o Application Security
- Desirable Experience:
o Developing and designing infrastructure solutions that contribute to a massively scalable, high availability environments
o Experience working with collaborative teams to bring working software to end-users quickly
o Agile/Scrum software development practices and methodologies.
- Ability to independently learn and actively seek new skills and knowledge to advance the development capabilities of the organization and the individual.
- Ability to dive into new technologies and languages across multiple platforms.
- Ability to contribute in design meetings and participate in architecture and code reviews.
- Strong communications skills and the ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical people and work with a variety of internal and external development groups.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS and WORK ENVIRONMENT The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is located within an office environment and consists of sitting at a computer in a cubicle setting 95% of the time.
Nearest Major Market: Denver
Job Segments: Curriculum, Developer, Media Publishing, Engineer, Research, Education, Technology, Publishing, Engineering